There always seems to be an abundance of people in need of links as to why the asterisk after trans is transmisogynistic or just flat out unnecessary so I browsed Google for a while and found some good explanations about why we should stop using the asterisk.
- probably the most comprehensive post with a large amount of reasons as to why the asterisk is transmisogynistic and how many people abuse its usage
- the post above but with some insightful commentary and more info
- shorter explanation about the transmisogyny behind the asterisk from a trans woman
- the asterisk was used originally by truscum to ‘tolerate’ non-binary identities
- conversation between trans women and other dmab trans people about the asterisk (not to be added on to if you aren’t a dmab trans person)
If you have other links, add them! If you think there’s something wrong with one of the links I provided, let me know! Save this list and use it to explain to people why we should ditch the asterisk.
"you make my heart beat in iambic pentameter."
no you don’t understand shakespeare literally writes to the beat of your heart
- that’s why shakespearean actors will sometimes pound their chests in time to the words during readings
- that’s why you use fluctuations in the rhythm to track your character’s emotional state - any irregularities in the scansion are like the character’s heart stuttering or jumping or skipping a beat
- that’s why when characters share the rhythm - switching off in the middle of a foot - those characters inevitably have an extraordinarily intimate connection
shakespeare fucking writes viscerally, he is literally in your body, and that, my friend, that is why the best shakespearean actors don’t posture and emote
you have to be fucking alive and passionate and electric - it can’t be intellectual, in the end, it has to be about connection and the sweating, cheering, jeering, bleeding masses you’re performing to, because make no mistake, shakespeare may go to lofty heights, but he only works if you’re just as grounded in the earth. he has to be in your body. he has to be in your body.
holy motherfucking shit i love shakespeare so much, get him in your bones, breathe him in, stomp and rage and pine, dadum dadum dadum dadum dadum, it is literally to the beat of your heart